Passenger Injury Accidents
If you have been injured as a passenger in a car accident throughout Denver and the surrounding areas in Colorado, it is important to contact a knowledgeable personal injury attorney who will make every effort to achieve full and fair compensation for you injuries, damages and losses. The injured passenger in a car accident only has a short period of time, also known as a statute of limitations, to file a lawsuit for any damages they sustained in the accident. Under section 13-80-101 of the Colorado Revised Statutes, the statute of limitations to file a claim for any injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident is only three years.
Passenger injuries can occur in a number of car accidents, due to the negligence of another driver or from the driver's negligence in the car you were a passenger in. Insurance companies will frequently dispute the injuries you sustained as a passenger; therefore, it is very important to contact an experienced personal injury attorney to help fight for your case.
Denver Passenger Injury Accident Lawyer
Contact the Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson today at (303) 458-5000 for a consultation about your passenger injury accident throughout Denver and the surrounding areas of Boulder, Longmont, Lakewood, Arvada, Aurora, Thornton, Westminster, Centennial and Littleton. Attorney Jennifer L. Donaldson is knowledgeable in all areas of car accident negligence claims in Colorado and will make every effort to help you receive full and fair compensation for your injuries. Call the Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson for a consultation about your passenger injury accident claim today.
Passenger Injury Accidents in Denver
Passenger injury accidents can occur in a number of ways, including, but not limited to:
- The failure of one or more drivers to control speed;
- One or more drivers had road rage;
- One or more drivers were texting or talking while driving;
- One or more driver were involved in a t-bone accident;
- One or more drivers were engaging in distracted driving;
- One or more drivers were driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
- One or more drivers were operating their vehicle recklessly; or
- One or more drivers were driving too fast in poor weather conditions or with low visibility.
If you were injured as a passenger in a vehicle due to another person's negligence, it is essential to consult with a personal injury lawyer who will make every effort to satisfactorily settle your case or, if necessary, file a lawsuit against the negligent driver or drivers.
Steps to Take After a Denver Car Accident
Following a car accident, there are certain steps you should always take. The following precautions will help ensure your safety, and allow you to begin protecting your rights, help recover and heal from your injuries, and regain what you have lost from the at-fault driver:
- Be Safe - It is important not to get out of the car until you are in a safe location. However, do not move the vehicle unless you are physically able to do so, and it is necessary to protect your safety and the safety of other drivers.
- Call 911 - Next, check to see if anyone else was injured. If you or anyone else has sustained any injuries, call the police. Additionally, exchange any contact information with other drivers and witnesses, and make every effort to assist the police in the investigation.
- Find Medical Help - Most likely after a car accident, an ambulance will be called to transport you and any other injured parties to the emergency room. If you do not initially go to the hospital, but continue to experience pain or develop new or worsening symptoms, you should immediately seek medical attention. Treatment and diagnosis of all of your injuries caused by the accident are essential to your physical recovery, in addition to your ability to obtain complete compensation from the at-fault party.
- Contact an Attorney - After a car accident, the negligent driver likely has an insurance company that protects their interests, so it is important for you to protect your interests and contact an experienced lawyer as soon as possible after the accident. Make sure not to give a statement to the insurance company, sign any documents or accept a settlement offer until you have retained a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer who can assist you during this difficult time.
Passenger Injury Accident Lawsuits in Denver
After consulting with a Denver car accident lawyer, they will likely help you file a lawsuit against the negligent driver or drivers if a settlement is not reached or either party refuses to pay for all or part of your injuries. Although some insurance companies may compensate you for your medical bills after a passenger-injury accident, many insurance companies will refuse to cover:
- Any non-economic damages,
- Job loss,
- Pain and suffering, and/or
- Time off work.
When filing a lawsuit for damages you sustained in a passenger injury accident as a result of another party's negligence, your attorney must prove the other driver was negligent by a preponderance of the evidence. This is a burden of proof that your attorney must satisfy in order for you to receive compensation from the negligent party. This burden can be established if the evidence weighs slightly more in your favor than not.
Passenger Injury Damages in Denver
If you have been injured as a passenger in a car accident in Denver, you are legally allowed to seek reimbursement from the negligent party for the expenses, damages and injuries you have sustained.
Although you are required to pay for your own medical treatment up front, you may eventually be reimbursed. Additionally, your own automobile insurance may have coverage for medical payments, which will cover medical treatment, such as the cost of the emergency room visit and ambulance cost. Once your medical payments limit has been exhausted, your medical bills should then be submitted to your health insurance company, which may or may not be entitled to seek reimbursement for the payments they made on your behalf after your claim has settled. If you do not have health insurance, the Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson has experience in contacting physicians to determine whether they can provide care for you on a lien basis. This means the medical bills will be held by the physician and paid out of the settlement proceeds you receive.
Under Colorado law, various types of damages are recoverable for injuries related to a passenger injury accident, including:
- Economic Damages – These damages are intended to compensate the injured party for all financial loss they have incurred or will incur in the future due to the car accident. These can include:
- Diminished earning capacity,
- Income loss,
- Medical and rehabilitation expenses, and/or
- Any other out-of-pocket expenses.
- Non-Economic Damages – These damages are intended to compensate the injured party for losses they have suffered due to the car accident, including:
- Impairment of normal lifestyle,
- Loss of enjoyment of life,
- Mental anguish and emotional stress, and/or
- Physical pain and suffering.
The amount of non-economic damages allowed in Colorado is limited to a maximum of $500,000.
- Physical Impairment and Disfigurement – These damages are intended to compensate the injured party for permanent physical injuries, scars or disfigurement they may have suffered as a result of the car accident. This element of damages is not limited by the cap on non-economic damages listed above.
Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson | Passenger Injury Accident Attorney in Denver
Contact the Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson today for a consultation about your passenger injury accident claim in Denver County and the surrounding areas of Boulder County, Jefferson County, Adams County and Arapahoe County. Jennifer Donaldson is an experienced Denver car accident attorney who will listen to the facts of your particular situation and make every effort to help you recover full and fair compensation. Contact the Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson at (303) 458-5000 for a consultation about your passenger injury accident in Denver today.