Motorcycle accidents are far more likely to result in serious injury and death than any other form of motor vehicle accident. If you have been involved in an accident while on your motorcycle or were involved in an accident due to the negligence of an individual on a motorcycle in Colorado, it is very important to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer in Denver as soon as possible after your accident.
You may be prohibited from filing a negligence lawsuit for you injuries sustained as a result of a motorcycle accident after a certain period of time has passed. According to the Colorado Revised Statutes § 13-80-101, the statute of limitations, or SOL, for most motor vehicle accidents involving personal injury is three years. A statute of limitations bars an individual from filing a lawsuit for damages against a negligent party after a specified period of time has passed. Since this is such a short period of time, it is very important to contact an experienced personal injury attorney in Denver as soon as you have been involved in a motorcycle accident.
Denver Motorcycle Accidents Lawyer
Contact the Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson if you have been injured in a motorcycle accident throughout Denver and the surrounding areas of Boulder, Longmont, Lakewood, Arvada, Aurora, Thornton, Westminster, Centennial and Littleton. Attorney Jennifer L. Donaldson will make every effort to hold the at fault party accountable for all of the injuries, damages and losses you have suffered as a result of that driver’s negligence. She will thoroughly investigate each crash by interviewing police officers and witnesses and hiring experts, such as, investigators or accident reconstructionists to examine debris, skid marks, the vehicles and any other evidence available to accurately determine how the motorcycle crash occurred to help overcome matters of prejudice and perception that may be a challenge at trial. Call the Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson at (303) 458-5000 today for a free consultation about your motorcycle accident claim.
Denver Motorcycle Accident Information Center
Back to top
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Denver
As the interest and popularity of motorcycles increases, more and more people are injured due to accidents involving motorcycles. Motorcycle accidents can generally occur for any of the following reasons:
- Driving distracted;
- Driving while texting or talking on a cell phone;
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- Driving with road rage;
- Entering a highway or major roadway;
- Failure to abide by traffic signs or signals.
- Failure to yield the right of way of another vehicle;
- Rear-end collision;
- Reckless driving;
- Sideswiping when changing lanes or merging; and/or
- Turning into the path of oncoming traffic or a motorcycle.
A vast majority of motorcycle accidents result in physical or bodily injury as opposed to just property damage as is often the case with car accidents. Even if the motorcyclist is wearing a helmet or protective gear, they are more likely to suffer from serious injuries. Some of the most common motorcycle injuries can include the following:
- Back or spinal cord injuries,
- Brain or head injuries,
- Broken or fractured bones,
- Internal organ injuries,
- Road rash, and/or
- Severed limbs.
Back to top
Denver Motorcycle Accident Claims
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, it is important to consult with a personal injury attorney before contacting any insurance company. The negligent party’s insurance provider may attempt to dispute your claim or not pay the full amount of the claim. It is also important not to sign any documents, give a recorded statement or agree to a settlement amount before consulting with your personal injury lawyer.
Quite often insurance companies will take a lengthy period of time to process your claim after an accident involving a motorcycle, and may ultimately deny your injuries or medical bills. Contacting an experienced personal injury lawyer immediately after your crash can help you avoid much of this frustrating and exhausting process. Your personal injury lawyer will fight for full and fair compensation in your motorcycle accident.
Back to top
Motorcycle Negligence Lawsuit in Denver
If your personal injury lawyer is unable to reach an agreeable settlement with the insurance provider, they will pursue a lawsuit against the negligent party. In order to win your lawsuit against the negligent driver, your attorney is required to prove the following elements by a preponderance of the evidence burden of proof:
- Duty – A driver has the duty to operate one’s car with ordinary care, which is required of all drivers in Colorado.
- Breach of Duty – The driver who was at fault breached this duty of care by operating his or her vehicle in a negligent or careless manner.
- Causation – The driver who was at fault caused your injuries through his or her carelessness and/or negligence.
- Damages – You suffered injury, damages and/or loss, such as medical expenses, physical pain and suffering, and loss of income as a result of the at-fault driver’s negligence.
Your attorney must prove these elements by a preponderance of the evidence, which means that the evidence weighs slightly more in your favor than it does not, in order to win your case at trial.
Back to top
Damages for Denver Motorcycle Accidents
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Colorado, you are legally entitled to seek reimbursement for your injuries and expenses from the negligent party. The party who is at fault is financially responsible for all of your damages, losses and accident-related injuries.
- Economic Damages – These damages are awarded to the injured party for all financial losses they have incurred or will incur in the future as a result of the motorcycle crash, which may include:
- Medical and rehabilitation expenses,
- Loss of income,
- Diminished earning capacity, Other out-of-pocket expenses.
- Non-Economic Damages – These damages are awarded to the injured party for damages and losses they have suffered as a result of the motorcycle crash, including:
- Physical pain and suffering,
- Mental anguish and emotional stress,
- Loss of enjoyment of life,
- Impairment of normal lifestyle and/or
The amount of noneconomic damages allowed in Colorado is currently limited to a maximum of $500,000.
- Physical Impairment and Disfigurement – These damages are intended to compensate the injured party for permanent physical injuries, scars or disfigurement they may have sustained as a result of the motorcycle crash. This element of damages is not limited by the caps on noneconomic damages outlined above.
Back to top
Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson | Denver Attorney for Motorcycle Accidents
Contact the Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson today for a consultation about your motorcycle accident claim in Denver County and the surrounding areas of Boulder County, Jefferson County, Adams County and Arapahoe County. Jennifer Donaldson is an experienced Denver attorney for personal injury who will fight for your rights to ensure that you are fully and fairly compensated for the injuries and losses you suffered as a result of your motorcycle crash. Contact the Law Office of Jennifer L. Donaldson at (303) 458-5000 for a consultation about your motorcycle accident claim in Denver today.